Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Homemade Refried Beans

I feel like I'm always running out of refried beans. We have tacos a lot and I put refried beans in my taco meat. It's how my mom did it and it's how I do it. Anyway, since we have tacos at least once a week, I'm always needing refried beans. I finally decided to just make my own and now I have a nice little stash in my freezer. Perfect!! It is very yummy just to use for chip dip too.

Homemade Refried Beans

1 pound dry pinto beans
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium jalapeño, diced small, seeds removed.
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
2 1/2 teaspoons salt

Rinse beans with cool water. Place in a slow cooker. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Pour water over the top. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours. (The longer they cook, the easier they will be to mash.) After the beans are cooked, remove as much water as possible (I usually get about one cup of liquid out) and reserve in a small bowl or measuring cup. Mash the beans and add the reserved liquid as needed. Make them a little thinner than you like them, because they will thicken as they cool. Add the salt, and mix well. Serve warm.

No comments: