Friday, October 12, 2012

Berry Kiwi Summer Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips

I made this delightful little salsa 10 or more times this summer. It quickly became my family's favorite. My husband loved it so much, he didn't want to share with any of us! And I made it so often that soon, I figured out my 10 year old could make the Cinnamon Chips while I made the salsa. It went a lot faster that way!! Definitely get a kitchen helper to move things along in the kitchen. I love my little helpers. 
This was my favorite new recipe of the summer and I'm sure we'll be making it well into winter too. It's so delicious, we just can't stop eating it.


Berry Kiwi Summer Salsa
2 kiwis chopped
2-3 firm, tart apples chopped
2 cups strawberries chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (I always use frozen)
1 TB granulated sugar
2 TB brown sugar
2 TB your favorite jam (homemade works best)
1 TB cream of coconut (optional)
Chop the kiwis, apples, and strawberries into small chunks about like this:
Combine with raspberries in a large mixing bowl.  Add sugars and jam.  I also like to add a little cream of coconut for some island flare.  You can usually find it in the ethnic foods section or the alcohol mixers section.  Lemon or orange zest is a good addition as well.

Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
8-10 flour tortillas
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup granulated sugar mixed with 1-2 TB of cinnamon (depending on how “cinnamon-y” you like it)
Lay tortillas on large cookie sheets.  You may want to put tinfoil down first for easier clean-up.  Brush both sides of the tortillas with melted butter.  Sprinkle both sides with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Using a pizza cutter, cut tortillas into strips or triangles.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Serve with berry kiwi summer salsa.

*Found on Pinterest from How Does She

1 comment:

jgmfamily said...

I love this recipe. My whole family love it!