Friday, March 30, 2012

Soft and Chewy Caramel Corn



I absolutely love caramel corn. It is one of my favorite treats of all time. I have searched long and hard for the perfect caramel corn recipe. I have made countless failed attempts at it. The caramel was either too hard or not gooey enough or too dark or too sweet, but this... this right here is perfection. I have made it almost every weekend since finding it, and every last kernal gets devoured.

FYI: It makes a 'TON.


Soft and Chewy Caramel Corn

(4) Bags of Microwave Popcorn or 8 - 10 cups air popped.
*I like to pop them first and sift out the un-popped kernels.

1/2 C. Butter
4 1/2 C. Sugar
2 1/2 C. Brown sugart
1 (12oz.) can Evaporated milk
2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 C. Light Corn Syrup



Bring to a boil: Butter, Sugar(s),Milk and cream.
Then stir in Salt and corn syrup. Boil to a "Softball" stage. Use a candy thermometer for this.
Stirring constantly.
Pour over popped corn, mix well.
Lay out to "dry" on wax paper.

No comments: