Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rolo Bars

When I am baking, I make it a point never to use a cake mix if at all possible because to me it just has a distinctive taste that I don't really like. I do let my girls make cake mix cookies because they are easy and fun and don't taste half bad, but that's about as far as I go. So.... when I saw these incredible rolo bars started with a cake mix, I was highly skeptical! I didn't want to get my hopes up even though they looked so incredible. But, I was in for a wonderful surprise! They taste just as good as they look. I'm glad that I made them for a crowd because I would have devoured them all myself. They are so so easy and so so delicious. You just can't go wrong with Rolos!

Note: It is my personal opinion, that the brand of a cake mix can make or break this recipe. I used Betty Crocker brand and had great success... however, I made them again using a generic Western Family brand cake mix, and I could definitely taste the cake mix-y taste. Still good, but not over the top delicious.

* Found on Cookies and Cups

Cake Mix Rolo Bars

Ingredients

  • 1 box (18.25 oz) yellow, vanilla or white cake mix ( I used Betty Crocker), dry
  • 5 oz evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 40 Rolo Candies, unwrapped and cut in half

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
  3. With your mixer, beat cake mix, evaporated milk and butter until combined. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
  4. Divide batter in half and press 1 half into the bottom of the pan.
  5. Bake until just set, approximately 8-9 minutes.
  6. Remove base from oven and place Rolo candies, caramel-side down on top.
  7. Drop remaining batter on top of Rolos in teaspoon sized amounts.
  8. Bake for 20-24 minutes longer until top begins to golden.
  9. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments: