Sunday, March 11, 2012

Almond Poppy Seed Muffins with Glaze

My husbands favorite muffin is Almond Poppy seed. He has made it clear on numerous occasions that it is not lemon poppy seed but almond poppy seed. I often think about making him some as a special treat, but never get around to it. I bought an almond poppy seed loaf at the grocery store several weeks ago and both my daughter and husband raved about it. Last weekend, my daughter kept begging me to make some poppy seed muffins but I was too busy, so she determinedly set out to do it herself. She is quite the baker and bakes all of the cookies and brownies at our house, but has never attempted these. I found a recipe off of All Recipes that I thought looked good, and she went for it. They turned out perfect. Between my husband and her I barely got a taste. She is quickly becoming the head baker at our house. I can't wait until she takes over at dinner time too.

Almond Poppy Seed Muffins

3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract

Glaze:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil, an dextracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups two thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; spoon over warm muffins.

No comments: