Friday, February 3, 2012

White Chocolate Raspberry Torte



When I get bored or stressed, I like to bake. It has become an addicting hobby with some fabulous results... Although many times I wish I didn't enjoy it so much... well, my expanding waistline wishes it anyway. I made this during the Christmas break, and it was exquisite. I had to bring it to my sister in laws house so I wouldn't eat it all, which isn't the first time that's happened. I wonder if she is beginning to find my calorie laden, rich and decadent dessert pawn offs annoying....
I found the idea in an old Taste of Home magazine, but I tweaked and altered it here and there until it was to my liking. It was so much fun! And I thought it would make a perfect Valentine's Day dessert because of the pretty raspberry red throughout. Make it for your sweetie (or yourself) and enjoy the bliss.
White Chocolate Raspberry Torte

1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
3/4 cup water
6 oz white baking chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking soda

White Chocolate Cream Frosting

6 oz white baking chocolate, chopped
2 packages (one 8 oz, one 4 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 cups powdered sugar
1 cup seedless raspberry jam, divided

1. In a large saucepan, combine butter, water and white chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, baking soda, and flour. Gradually beat in butter mixture.
3. Pour into three greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
4. For frosting, melt the white chocolate for 45 seconds in a microwave; stir. Microwave at additional 10 - 20 second intervals, stirring each time. Continue until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter. Gradually beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
6. To assemble, spread 2 tablespoons (more of less depending on how thick you want the layer) of jam over one cake layer; spread with frosting. Repeat layers twice. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of torte. Warm remaining jam; drizzle over dessert plates before serving. I topped my cake with gold glitter sprinkles. You could also try fresh raspberries.


2 comments:

Dining Alone said...

That looks so delicious, I wish I had a slice right now!

Fignie said...

Ooohhh my goooooooooooodnesss! This looks amazing!! Sadie .... me wants!