Friday, December 23, 2011

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

This was another one of my Thanksgiving pies. I'm not a huge fan of coconut or coconut cream pie, but my husband LOVES it. I wanted to make something special for him, and this certainly fit the bill. I did end up having a piece and I was so pleasantly surprised. It was quite tasty. It's so smooth and has the perfect texture. My hubby said it was to die for, so I'm guessing that means he loved it.

*From Mel's Kitchen

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

1 can coconut milk
Heavy Whipping Cream (enough to add to the coconut milk to make 3 cups)
3 egg yolks
3/4 cups white sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 graham cracker crust or traditional Pie crust
Fresh Whipping Cream, lightly sweetened
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted *

In a medium saucepan, combine half and half, coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will become very thick. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut extract and the vanilla extract. Pour the custard into the baked and cooled pie shell and chill 2-4 hours or until firm. Top with whipped cream and the toasted coconut.

*To toast coconut, spread coconut on rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake at 325 degrees, tossing often, until lightly toasted, about 12-15 minutes.

No comments: