Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pomegranate Salad

My mom made this salad every year for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. It was one of the many things that I looked forward to all year. Now that I get to prepare Thanksgiving dinner, you can bet this will be on the table. The pomegranates really throw it into a whole new level of fruit salad. If you are looking for a good salad to serve with Thanksgiving dinner, give this one a try. It's my favorite!
I always double the recipe because I know it goes quick.

Mom's Pomegranate Salad

1 large pomegranate, peeled and seeded
1 can mandarin oranges
1 banana, sliced
1 large apple, chopped
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
Sugar

Peel your pomegranate and get all the little white pieces out. A trick I learned years ago for doing this is to soak the pomegranate seeds (kernels?) in water, and the little white pieces float to the top. You can, then, scoop them right off the top of the water. Now, if your kids are helping or your husband is nearby, you are probably going to want to peel 2 pomegranates. The seeds mysteriously disappear very quickly.
Now add the other chopped fruit. You are welcome to add and subtract whatever fruit fits your fancy, but this is how my mom always made it, so I stick with what I know is good.
Then beat your whipping cream with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Add 2 -3 TBSP sugar to get it the sweetness you want. Add to the fruit mixture. Mix gently and get ready for an explosion of heaven in your mouth!

No comments: