Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Brickle Bars

This is a fun spin on the classic old fashioned brickle bar. My grandma used to make these without the chocolate layer, but I pretty much need chocolate in all my desserts so I added it in. It is quite a different bar than what I normally make, but I was pleasantly surprised by the textures and flavors that combined nicely with each other.

Chocolate Peanut Brickle Bars

2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cups unsifted flour
1 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1 (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk
½ cup peanut butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 package Heath toffee bits (found by the chocolate chips) or 3 to 4 Heath bars chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
2. In large bowl, combine oats, flour, peanuts, sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in butter until crumbly. Reserving 1 ½ cups crumb mixture, press remainder on bottom of greased 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. Bake 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in small mixer bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk with peanut butter until smooth; spread evenly over prepared crust to within ¼” of the edge. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips. In medium bowl, combine reserved crumb mixture and brickle chips. Sprinkle evenly over peanut butter mixture; press down firmly.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into bars.

1 comment:

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com