Monday, July 4, 2011

Caprese Skewers

These are absolutely delicious. Despite the few ingredients, they are outrageously good. So simple, yet so divine. I used my fresh basil from my garden in my first batch, but ran out and had to substitute some from the store on my second batch. I discovered that my fresh basil from the garden has a much stronger taste than the store bought. Yum! I can't ever get enough of fresh basil.

Caprese Skewers

1 pint red cherry tomatoes
1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes
1 bunch basil leaves (about 18-30 leaves, the big ones can be cut in half)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
2-3 dozen long toothpicks

Slice the cherry tomatoes in half so you end up with two half-basketball pieces. Slice the mozzarella into bite-sized chunks. Slide a piece of mozzarella onto the toothpick. Fold a basil leaf in half or thirds and scoot it up next to the mozzarella. Slide a tomato onto the bottom of the skewer, flat side down. Move the mozzarella and basil down to meet the tomato if needed. You want the flat side of the tomato to be right at the end of the toothpick so it stands up straight. Place all the finished skewers on a paper plate or tray. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a platter to serve.

1 comment:

Cooking Creation said...

Mmm! This is the perfect appetizer! Home grown is definitely more flavorful! :)