Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter

I found this on My Kitchen Cafe and it was absolutely divine. I didn't think my kids would touch it, but to my surprise they gobbled it up faster than I did. The asparagus gave it such a wonderful flavor. I loved how simple it was. It's a perfect summer dish.
Important note: This dish tastes best served immediately. I tried to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day and it was not good.

Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter

1 pound fresh asparagus spears
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon light or dark brown sugar
1 pound penne pasta
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the asparagus spears into 1-inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the oil and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ of the pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.

While the asparagus roasts, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the vinegar is reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat.

Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until just done, 11-13 minutes. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Stir in the butter and vinegar mixture. Toss to combine well. Add in the asparagus, Parmesan, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese for serving.

6 comments:

Cooking Creation said...

Mmm! I love roasted asparagus and coupled with balsamic vinegar? YUM! This looks so tasty! :)

Shayla Bentley said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was wonderful! I also found it on Mel's Kitchen Cafe. What a great summer pasta! We actually made it with broccoli and my 2 year old GOBBLED it up!

Sadie said...

I'm so glad you liked it Shayla! I'll have to try it with broccoli next time.

Christina said...

This does look really good, an interesting dish with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar! Tastiness.

beardmommaof4 said...

How funny! I have this recipe bookmarked to make. Now I have added incentive to make it!

Inspector Clouseau said...

Really appetizing shots. Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.