Friday, May 6, 2011

Perfect Bread

I am so excited about this bread. I have been searching and searching for it seems like forever to find a perfect recipe that tastes good to me and my family. Bread is a tricky thing. There are so many recipes out there and what is marvelous to one may not be to another. After trying many bread recipes out that I did like but didn't love, I finally found one that I will be making consistently. My friend, Jolene, gave me the basis for this recipe but I changed a few thing here and there. I really wanted it to have more wheat flour in the recipe and the first time I made this recipe I used half wheat and half white flour. But, and this is a big but, my kids and myself did not like the taste or texture of the bread. I only hope that I can gradually add more wheat flour into things to get my kids more used to the taste. After all, you can make and prepare wonderfully healthy things, but if your family won't eat them.... than it doesn't do anyone any good. I just have to remind myself that it's all about taking small steps to becoming healthier each day.

Sadie's Perfect Bread

1/2 cup shortening
2 TBSP salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 cups boiling water
3 packets yeast
2 1/2 cups cold water
1 - 2 cups wheat flour
10 -11 cups white flour
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
3 TBSP dough enhancer

I use my Bosch to mix the dough so that is how I am writing my recipe. Adjust accordingly if you are doing it by hand.

Put the shortening, salt, sugar, honey, and powdered milk into your Bosch bowl. Mix lightly. Pour the boiling water over mix. (If you need to proof your yeast, do it now) Mix again. Add the cold water and 2 cups of flour and mix well.
Add yeast and mix again. Add 4 cups flour and mix again. Add wheat gluten and dough enhancer and mix well. Add the remaining flour, a cup full at a time, and mix until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl. Mix for 10 - 15 minutes on medium speed.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until double the size.
Punch down and separate dough into 4 equal pieces. Make sure your loaf pans are greased well. Put dough in 4 loaf pans and let rise again.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes. Cover with foil for the last 15 minutes so the tops don't get too dark.
When they are done, melt butter and brush over the tops.


1 comment:

Cooking Creation said...

It does look perfect! I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing :)