Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Tricky Dinner

We love April Fool's Day at our house. The kids and I have so much fun trying to trick each other throughout the day. I always laugh so hard at their genius ideas to trick mom. This year instead of tricking the kids, I decided to just have a crazy and wacky day. We ate a breakfast of banana splits under the table, I stuffed their lunchboxes full of silly and crazy snacks and for dinner we ate a buffet of fun finger food and snacks on mom and dad's bed... an extreme no, no.... ha, ha
They thought it was awesome. And for dessert we made these tricky cupcakes and delivered them to some neighbors. It might be my favorite April Fool's Day to date.
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Cupcakes

Frosting
Ice cream topping Caramel sauce

Spoon frosting onto cupcakes in heaping spoonfuls to resemble mashed potatoes.
Heat caramel sauce in microwave. Make a small hole in frosting and pour on the sauce like gravy. It's a bit messy but very realistic.

I went to my local candy shop and found the peas and carrots candy. The name of it is even Peas & Carrots. So cute!! I couldn't resist.

Spaghetti & Meatball cupcakes

Rasberry Jam
Ferrero Rocher candy's
Frosting

Use a small tip to pipe on slightly yellow tinted frosting onto your cupcakes. Move the tip all around to create the spaghetti effect.
Roll the Ferrero Rocher's in heated jam and spoon on top of "spaghetti".
Super easy, but amazingly effective. We liked the spaghetti and meatball cupcakes the best.

2 comments:

Highly Experimental said...

Those are so clever! also, I'm pretty sure you had me at a Ferrero Rocher rolled in heated jam...

Cooking Creation said...

Great job! Aren't the spaghetti and meatball cupcakes amazingly sweet?! I love them! Hope you're enjoying your week! :)