Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Surprise Gumball Cupcakes with Laffy Taffy Frosting


When I saw Laffy Taffy Frosting on Real Mom Kitchen, I just knew I had to try it. We are huge Laffy Taffy fans. My girls' favorite candy is Laffy Taffy and Gumballs, so I decided to surprise them today with some fun Pinkalicious cupcakes. They were so thrilled with the hidden gumball. The frosting is very sweet, but oh so delicious. I devoured 2 cupcakes on the spot. I played with the cupcake recipe a little bit, and I must say I thought it was absolutely divine! The cupcakes were very light and airy, and absolutely scrumptious. They were a bit crumbly, but I actually liked them that way.
These would be fun for a Princess birthday party, or any kind of girly get together. The frosting was so good, I am going to be experimenting with other flavors of Laffy Taffy for sure. The possibilities are endless!

White and Crumbly Cupcakes

  • 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, milk, whipping cream, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract, with an electric mixer until moistened, about 30 seconds. Then increase the speed to high and beat until thick for 2 minutes.
  3. Fill paper liners two-thirds full with the batter. Bake at 350° for 18 - 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool.
  4. When the cupcakes are cooled, using an apple corer or knife, cut out a 3/4 inch round plug from the center of each cupcake creating a pocket in each cupcake. Put one large gumball in the hole so only a tiny hump is sticking up, like the picture below.

    Laffy Taffy Frosting

***This frosting is enough to cover all of the cupcakes but if you want it piled on on the cupcakes like I did in the photo then you will want to double this amount.***

  • 12 pieces of strawberry Laffy Taffy candy (the fun sized ones)
  • 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  1. In a small sauce pan, melt the taffy and the heavy cream together stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat to cool.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whip the butter until smooth.
  3. Mix in the powdered sugar, a half cup at a time, whipping until fluffy. Then add the melted and cooled laffy taffy a spoonful at a time. You don’t want it too thick. If needed, place it back on the stove for a few seconds to soften it just enough. After each spoonful of the laffy taffy, turn the mixer up to high and whip the frosting until it’s fluffy. You can also add a little pink or red food coloring to get the desired shade. I did not add any food coloring.
  4. Frost the cupcakes with the laffy taffy frosting and top with sprinkles. Makes 24 cupcakes.


5 comments:

teresa said...

your pics are lovely, these look so good!

Miranda Townsend said...

Yum Sadie!! I love strawberry Laffy Taffy too. That is so interesting that I think I'm going to have to try it!!...and your parmesan chicken. I'm in a cooking rut - oh if only we were neighbors!!

Cooking Creation said...

Oh my gosh I am so in love with these! I cannot wait to make them! They sound wonderful and look great! Thank you for sharing :)

girl said...

What magnificent photos! That looks really lovely. I will have to try this one for certain.

Sadie said...

Thanks for the comments!! I struggle with taking nice food photos so it's always wonderful to hear good things about my pictures. ;)