Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Grasshopper Brownies

I wanted to make a fun, festive St. Patrick's Day treat for our family night dessert, and came up with these. I put the frosting on before the brownies cooled completely, so it was a little messy and blobby, but we just couldn't wait to eat them. I also could not find St. Patrick's Day sprinkles anywhere! I went to Walmart and 2 other grocery stores with no success... weird. I live in a small town so I didn't have access to a craft store that might have helped me out, but I did find these cute green mini chips in my pantry. I think they turned out very festive for a last minute unplanned treat.
I made my brownies from scratch, but to save time you could easily use a box mix.

St. Patrick's Day Grasshopper Brownies

Brownies
1 c butter
3/4 c baking cocoa
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter in microwave or on the stovetop. After it is completely melted remove from heat and stir in cocoa. Stir until smooth. Add sugar, eggs one at a time, vanilla, and dry ingredients.
Spread in a 9x13 cake pan.
Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes. Let brownies cool completely before frosting.

Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 TBS milk
1/4 tsp mint extract
4 to 5 drops green food coloring

Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating each time until smooth. Add milk by the teaspoon full until you get your desired consistency. It should be quite stiff. Add mint extract and food coloring.
Spread over the brownies and top with sprinkles.

1 comment:

Cooking Creation said...

Mmm these look ooey and gooey! Happy Saint Patrick's Day! :)