Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Granola

The other day I was craving something nutty and nutritious. I couldn't think of anything that I wanted except for my mom's homemade granola. I remember whenever she made it, I would eat it nonstop until every last morsel was devoured.
I called her up and got the recipe for my very own. I'm so glad that now I can eat it anytime I want. I have been eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week now. The best part is that it makes a ton so not only can you give some away, but still have plenty left to enjoy. No need to ration it out... In moderation, this can be a very healthy snack. I always have trouble with that moderation part. It's just so good! I like to eat it in a bowl with milk for breakfast, and plain by itself throughout the day.
Obviously you can mix up the nuts and other ingredients to suit your own tastes, but I love it just the way it is.

Mom's Granola

8 cups oats
1 cup Grape nuts (I used the Walmart brand)
1 cup All Bran cereal (they look like little sticks)
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut
2 cups honey roasted peanuts
1 cup almonds (Iused roasted and salted)
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup raisins
2 cups honey
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Heat honey on stove top until runny. Add oil and vanilla and stir until runny and smooth. Pour over dry mix and stir.
Spread mix on to 2 large, greased cookie sheets. Bake mix for one hour stirring every 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Cooking Creation said...

Ahhh... looks so tasty! I love the addition of sunflower seeds and coconut. Also loving the background picture :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi! I've always wanted to make my own granola, but could never find a recipe that didn't have agave syrup or wheat germ in it. Love this!