Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Valentine's Day Lunch

I really love Valentine's Day. It is a chance for me to show those that I love how much I love them. This year, all I have heard from people is whining and complaining about how much they hate the holiday. It really makes me sad. Even if I did not receive one valentine or flowers or chocolates or anything (which I won't this year because my sweet hubby is gone) I would still love the holiday... because it's not about me... it's about the people I love. I've heard the arguement a million times from people who say they don't need a day to show people they love them because they can show them every day of the year... but honestly, who does that? I think it's wonderful to set aside a day to ponder and think about our loved ones and the blessing they are in our lives. I always make my mom and dad, sisters and brothers, neices and nephews and anyone else I feel inclined, homemade Valentine's and send them in the mail. And in so doing, it not only brightens up their day, but it reminds me how lucky I am to be blessed with so many people I love and adore in my life. Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now. I just wanted to share my feelings about a great holiday. And on with this cute lunch.

My kids loved this lunch I made for them. It was quick, easy, and they licked their plates clean. I used heart cookie cutters to cut out hearts from pickled beet slices and chicken patties. My kids are weird and absolutely love beets. I love it because they are healthy. And of course, lunch wouldn't be complete without Valentine sugar cookies!!

No comments: