Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine Mice

I'm not sure if this qualifies as food, but I thought it was such a cute idea, and I wanted to post it where I could remember it each Valentine's day. Looking at archives of my favorite blogs is such a fun thing to do. Sometimes I find my favorite recipes when the blogger was just starting out.
These Valentine mice were a cinch to make and my kids absolutely loved making their own. My 8 year old loved it so much she said she wanted to make 27 mice for every person in her class!!
I didn't go out and buy supplies for this craft. I just used what I had in my craft box, and they turned out cute as can be. We used Candy Cane Hershey Kisses. Delicious!

Valentine Mice
  • Wrapped Hershey’s Kisses in any color
  • Construction paper, felt or craft foam
  • Craft glue
  • Black thread, yarn or ribbon
  • Small black pom-poms
  • Small wiggle eyes
  • Scissors

Creating The Hershey Kiss Mouse

The mouse ears and feet can be made from white, pink or red construction paper, felt or craft foam. Cut out 2 hearts that are about 1-2 inches tall. Glue the “ears” between the flat sides of two Hershey Kisses. Glue the feet on the bottam. You can also use glue dots or even double stick tape to put the mouse together.

Next, cut the paper tag off the kiss at one end of the mouse. This will be the face and the other side with the paper tag intact will be the mouse tail. Although, you can glue on a yarn or ribbon tail if you prefer.

Glue the google eyes onto the mouse face. Cut out a few small strips of black thread to make the whiskers. Then place a small drop of glue on the end of the kiss to attach the whiskers and nose. Place the black thread whiskers on the glue first and then the pom-pom nose on top of that. If it is easier, you may tie the thread onto the end of the kiss rather than gluing it. Then just glue the pom-pom nose on top of the whiskers.

Other Options For Making The Chocolate Mouse

Yarn or ribbon can be used as a tail in place of the paper tag.

In addition, if you are lacking supplies or have very small children trying to make these, you can substitute permanent marker for the google eyes and glitter glue for the nose instead of the pom-pom.

No comments: