Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sadie's Chili

The other day I got a hankering for some chili. I don't have a recipe that I absolutely love, so I just decided to make it up as I went along. It turned out perfect! Exactly how I like it, and therefore, I dubbed it Sadie's Chili.
I also think it's a great food storage recipe. I used lots of my canned food storage in it. I always love running across a great food storage recipe.
Enjoy!

Sadie's Chili

2 pounds ground beef
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, diced
Two 15-oz cans tomato sauce
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes

In a large pot, cook the beef, garlic, and onion over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Drain off fat.
Pour in the tomato sauce, spices, salt, and water. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occassionally.
After an hour, combine the cornmeal with 1/2 cup water in a small bowl. Stir together with a fork. Dump the mixture into the chili. Stir well. Cook for 15 more minutes.
Stir in beans and Rotel tomatoes. Cook 15 more minutes.
Serve with cheese and sour cream.

You may be able to dump everything in a crockpot and cook all day. I'll have to try it and see how it works. That would be a nice option, although this wasn't hard to make at all.
Too make it even more food storage friendly, use deydrated onions and canned garlic.

2 comments:

The Norwood Twins said...

Yummmmmmy! I will be using this recipe. Thank you so much for posting it! :)

Sadie said...

Thanks NOrwood Twins. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I just had the leftovers for lunch. Still delicious!