Friday, December 3, 2010

Cheddar Corn Chowder

I found this delicious and comforting chowder in a Taste of Home magazine. I spruced it up a little, and it turned out incredible. I can honestly say this is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I plan on making it many more times through the winter. It's a perfect feel-good comfort soup for a cold day.

Cheddar Corn Chowder

1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup diced red pepper
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 large potatoes, diced
1 can whole kernel corn, drained or 1 cup frozen corn
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups milk

1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
2. Add the potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add milk and remaining red pepper; cook and stir until soup comes to a boil. remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.


3 comments:

beardmommaof4 said...

Step 3: add milk but there is no milk in the ingredients! I guess since I am making this tonight, I will just guess!

beardmommaof4 said...

I found it on the Taste of Home website: 2 cups milk.

Sadie said...

Ha, ha! Thanks Jolene. And the funny thing is I just made this again and didn't even notice the milk was missing... where is my brain? Thanks for keeping me on track