Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice

I found this idea from Picky Palate and then changed it just a tad for my tastes. The cheese sauce makes it incredible! You can never have enough cheese, right? And of course, I love wild rice. My kids were a little skeptical, but I absolutely loved it. It makes about 8 - 10 servings. I was able to halve the recipe with great success.

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice

3 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 cups steamed white rice
2 cups prepared wild rice
salt and pepper to taste

Cheese Sauce

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Extra cheese for topping

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat butter on medium in a large sauce pan. Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low.

2. Prepare cheese sauce by melting butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously. Whisk until thick and nearly boiling. Stir in cheese until melted. Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Thought I'd tell you that I just shared your italian beef recipe with jamiecooksitup. That beef recipe has been a huge hit with all I've served it to. Thanks for posting all these recipes.

Celeste said...

Mmmmm! How can you go wrong with all of those wonderful ingredients! It looks delicious!

Sadie said...

Thank you Stacy. It's always nice to know someone else is enjoying my recipes besides my family.