Monday, August 2, 2010

Crockpot French Chicken

This is such a hearty, warm, feel good meal. It's perfect for a nice Sunday dinner and fancy enough to share with friends. It definitely is delicious! I love finding good crockpot recipes. They are so easy!

Crockpot French Chicken - adapted from Lick the Bowl Good

5 slices thick-cut bacon
2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into halves
1/2 apple juice
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Cook bacon in medium skillet over medium heat. Drain and crumble. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order: onions, bacon, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, pepper, chicken, juice, and broth. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.

Remove chicken and vegetables to a plate. Ladle 1/2 cup cooking liquid into small bowl; allow to cool slightly. Turn slow cooker to High; cover. Mix reserved liquid, tomato paste and flour until smooth. Return sauce mixture to slow cooker and stir. Add the chicken and veggies back to the sauce being sure that everything gets covered in sauce. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until thickened.

Serve over mashed potatoes.

6 comments:

crockpot recipes said...

Your crockpot recipe sounds and looks really yummy. Although in my case, I usually prefer chicken legs and thighs instead of the breast part. I really think that they are more flavorful. I figured that will still be considered white meat, right? Anyway, I'd definitely try this one, I simply love crockpot recipes. They're so easy to make, as easy as one or two steps and you're practically done. :)

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

Celeste said...

Ooooo! I bet that apple juice really adds a lot of wonderful flavor!

Stacy said...

We'll be eating the italian beef french dip sandwiches shortly! I really am glad I found your blog. Thanks for the recipes!

Marianne said...

Sorry, but the picture put me off. It looks like cat food.

Sadie said...

LOL, I'm sorry Marianne. My sub par photography skills just don't do it justice. Believe me, it definitely does NOT taste like cat food... not that I've eaten cat food, but I'm going out on a limb here.
And thank you everyone else for the nice comments.