Monday, June 14, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes


My girls and I were having fun in the kitchen one day, and decided to make rainbow cupcakes. My girls thought they were totally awesome, and I kind of have to agree. They were a lot of fun to make and we had a barrell of fun messing around in the kitchen. Both of my girls had their noses to the oven door while they were baking. They couldn't wait to see the colors baked.

Rainbow Cupcakes

1 white cake mix
2 eggs
1 C sour cream
1/2 C milk
1/3 C vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients until incorporated (about 30 seconds). Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on med-high speed for 3 minutes.

Divide batter according to how many colors you are using. I used 5 colors and it worked out to a little over 1 cup for each color.

Use food coloring to color batter to desired intensity. I would like to point out something crucial here. I used your basic generic food coloring little bottles. If you want BRIGHT colors that pop and look absolutely gorgeous, definitley go out and buy individual Wilton brand food coloring. It's not by the regular food coloring in the baking section. It's probably by the crafts and cake decorating section. You would have the most luck finding it at a craft store or Walmart.

To get a layered stripe, put a spoonful of each color in the cupcake one at a time. The batter is thick, so it won't spread on it's own. A great tip is to set out a little bowl of water where you're working. Dip your finger in the water and then gently spread the batter out. The water will make it so the batter doesn't stick to your fingers.

Another tip is to use a measuring spoon and some water to measure out how many teaspoons/tablespoons are going to fit in your cupcake. Then divide that by how many colors you have so you know how much of each color to use for each cupcake. I did about 1 1/2 tsp of each color, but I think it would look better with 2 tsp of batter for each color.

Bake them according to the package directions, until a toothpick comes out dry.

And now, to see a phenomenal rainbow cupcake check out the one below from Our Best Bites. AMAZING, right? I feel almost embarrassed to compare, but if I had been doing these for a party or taking them to an event, I would have dished out the cash for the food coloring, and also spent more time making them look nice. But my girls and I were just having fun and did these on the spur of the moment.

I topped mine with cream cheese frosting, mostly for taste, but if you are making these for a party or want them to look super cute like the pic below, definitely use a fluffy buttercream frosting so you can swirl it up!

These are so much fun!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I am a newer follower of your blog and I LOVE it! Check out my blog - I have an award for you on it :)

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com