Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Carmel Brownies Revisited

This was one of my very first recipes posted on here (with a horrible picture). I made them the other day with a few small changes and almost died when I took the first bite. I had forgotten how incredible they were. If you haven't made these yet, you really MUST. It is heaven in your mouth.
I never use the pecans just because nuts ruin brownies for me.

Carmel Brownies

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
30 carmels (from one 14 oz bag)
1 box of German Chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 plus 1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup pecan pieces (optional)

1. Melt 60 caramels with 1/2 cup evaporated milk in microwave (30 second intervals). Or melt on stovetop. Melt 3/4 cup butter or margarine and add to the german chocolate cake mix. Add 1/3 cup evaporated milk and mix well. Add pecan pieces now if you are using them.

2. Spread about 1/2 (maybe slightly more) of the mixture in a greased and floured 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake 8 minutes at 350°F. Cake will be puffy.

3. Take 1 cup chocolate chips and sprinkle over cake. Pour caramel sauce over chocolate chips. Drop remaining cake mixture over top of caramel sauce by small spoonful. Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool at least 30 minutes before cutting.

1 comment:

Kinsey said...

I'm with you on the nuts ruining brownies. They are supposed to be chewy not crunchy.