Monday, May 17, 2010

Cheese Straws

This is an awesome appetizer for soup, salad, and especially Chili. I had a lot of fun making these, and my family had a great time dipping them. Yum! I love how simple they are. I found them in my America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. You can also play around with different toppings for the cheese straws. I have tried adding sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic,and caraway seeds with great success.

Cheese Straws

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I use the Pepperidge Farms brand)
2 ounces parmesan or asiago cheese, grated (1 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Adjust the oven racks to the upper and lower middle positions and heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lay the puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle with the parmesan, salt, and pepper. Top with another sheet of parchment and using a rolling pin, press the cheese into the dough, rolling to shape the dough into a 10 inch square.
Remove the top layer of parchment and using a sharp knife (or pizza cutter), cut the dough into thirteen 3/4 inch wide strips. Gently twist each strip of dough and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Space strips about 1 inch apart.
Bake until the straws are fully puffed and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
To make more evenly browned strips you can reverse the position of the baking sheet from top to bottam about halfway through.
Cool 5 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Julie said...

These look great...would be perfect with a big bowl of soup!

Kinsey said...

I need to go stock up on puff pastry. Those look really yummy.

Anonymous said...

I have the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, which has this recipe, and I thought these were so delicious too! The variations were also really fun to try. My two favorite variations were the golden raisin-cardamom-pistachio and the adobo chile-cheddar ones, but they were all good!