Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools Day Dinner

On the menu for tonight: Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and cupcakes with pink frosting for dessert.... or is it? Look closely, and you'll see a few tricks.
I served up this meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy dish for my family. I really wish I would have had my camera for the expressions on their faces. The kids thought it was the funniest thing ever. Oh, how I love a good prank. ;)
The meatloaf is a dense chocolate rice krispie treat, cut into slices. And the mashed potatoes? Vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce. It was totally obvious to me while dishing it on the plates, but apparently my family doesn't look too closely. They were all fooled... and delighted to have dessert first.
And these lovely pink cupcakes with sprinkles were nothing more than mini meatloaves baked in cupcake liners and topped with mashed potates that were tinted with beet juice.

It was such a fun meal. Try it sometime even if it's not April Fool's day. It's guaranteed a table of smiles and laughs.

3 comments:

Evan and Kinsey Zinser said...

I've always wanted to try this. I'm gonna make sure I do it next year.

megan said...

This is hilarious! What a great idea! I so want to do this to my husband next year!!

Monica H said...

hee hee. That would have been so funny to see their expressions. cute idea!