Monday, February 8, 2010

Peanut Blossoms

I spruced up these cookies for Valentine's Day! They are usually made with a Hershey kiss in the center, but I decided to take advantage of all that fun heart shaped candy out there. I remember making these cookies with my mom when I was little. They are such a yummy cookie, and great to make with kids.
In replacement of the kiss, I used Hershey's milk chocolate hearts, Dove Dark Chocolate hearts, and some Hershey's Candy Cane red and white striped kisses that I had in my pantry. The possibilities really are endless with these. I've seen chocolate butterfinger hearts, Crunch hearts, and quite a few others.
The cookies are usually rolled in white sugar, but the kids and I had fun using our red and pink sugar crystals too. Very festive!! Make these for a fun Valentine treat and enjoy with a tall glass of milk. This recipe comes straight from my mom's recipe box.

Peanut Blossoms

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup white sugar (or colored) for decoration
2 (9 oz) bags of milk chocolate Hershey's Candy Kisses (or other chocolates) unwrapped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or spray cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, crea together shortening, butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and stir in the milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture until well blended. Using a tablespoon to scoop dough, shape dough into balls and roll in remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie. Allow to cool completely. The kiss hardens as it cools.


I experimented with putting the chocolate onto the cookie before baking, and then after baking. The cookie definitely looks prettier if you wait until after it's done cooking.
Happy Valentine's Day!!!

No comments: