Monday, January 25, 2010

Welcome Home Dinner!

My hubby just came home from a 2 1/2 week Army course that was brutal. He was so exhausted, he could barely stand up. We were so excited to get him home! I made this special welcome home dinner for him, and the very best part about the dinner is that it took hardly anytime at all. A rocking crockpot recipe, a make ahead pie, a side dish that took 6 minutes, and the other side dish that was just boiling time... Awesome. Oh, the rolls took a little bit of time, but believe me, they were worth it!!! No time in the kitchen meant I got to spend more time snuggling with my honey.

This was a fantastic meal!!! It got rave reviews from all of us... especially the hubby.

His welcome home meal consisted of:

Southern Pot Roast
Spicy Asparagus Spears
Crash Hot Potatoes
Lionhouse Rolls
Frozen Orange Dream Pie

I'll start with the pot roast recipe, and then post the other recipes in separate posts.
Southern Pot Roast

1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2 pounds)

1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning

1 package (9 oz) frozen corn, thawed

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chooped

1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Cut roast in half; place in a 5 qt slow cooker. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Top with corn, onion, and green pepper. Combine the tomatoes, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve corn mixture with a slotted spoon.
I cooked this roast for about 7 hours and it was so tender... It just fell apart. And the vegetable mixture!!!! Wow, it was so so so good. Don't be decieved by looks and leave it in the crockpot. You must eat the veggie mixture with the pot roast. The flavors are delicious!

*I found this recipe in an old Quick Cooking magazine.
** The recipe for the Crash Hot Potatoes is from The Pioneer Woman. Go HERE for the recipe.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love my slow cooker. I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you're interested.

Sadie said...

Thank you Kathy! All of your recipes look delicious!

teresa said...

welcome home to your hubby! how nice to have him back. great meal!