Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lionhouse Rolls

These rolls are so delicious.... so delicious!!! I had high expectations when I picked them to make for hubby's welcome home dinner because I have heard only good things... no, only great things about this recipe. And it didn't disappoint. My oldest daughter ate her weight in them...
And the best part is that they freeze wonderfully and you can have rolls all week long or month long. You just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and they taste fresh as fresh!

Lionhouse Rolls
*From the Lionhouse in Salt Lake City

2 tablespoons active-dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
5-6 cups flour

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, (I use my Bosch) combine yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, shortening, salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. Beat together until very smooth. Add remaining flour gradually (about 1/2 cup at a time) until a soft but not sticky dough is formed. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and satiny. Or if you are using a Bosch just let it mix for 7 -10 minutes. Return dough to an oiled bowl and cover to let rise until doubled. (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours)

Separate dough into three portions. Roll out each portion into a circle and cut into 8 pie-shaped pieces(triangles) (or 12 pieces if you want smaller rolls). Roll up crescent-style and place on baking sheet. Cover with saran wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes - until nicely browned. Makes 2-3 dozen rolls.

*I have to admit that I got tired of rolling out the dough so for the last bit of dough, I just broke off balls, rolled them in my hands and placed on the cookie sheet. These turned out just fine. Not the pretty crescent roll shape but apparently the shape doesn't matter to my family. ;)

No comments: