Friday, January 15, 2010

All-American Beef Chili

I got this recipe from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I altered it slightly to meet my needs and I think it turned out just perfect. The spices give it such a nice aroma. It's perfect for these cold days of winter. I turned it into a crockpot recipe so there is hardly any work involved either. Don't you just love those kind of recipes?

All-American Beef Chili

2 onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
6 garlic cloves
2 pounds ground beef
2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
1 can black or navy beans, rinsed
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can tomato puree

* Instead of tomato puree, I used a can of Campbell's tomato soup. I also halved the recipe with great success.

Break ground beef into chunks in the bottam of a crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently. Let simmer on low for 6 - 8 hours.

**The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook does not have this as a crockpot recipe. It is cooked on the stove top following different steps.

No comments: