Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Kit Kat Bars

I got this recipe from my good friend, Paula Deen. ;) (Don't I wish she was my friend!!)Chocolatey, caramely, buttery goodness. I don't think they taste a lot like a Kit Kat bar, but they are still absolutely delicious. And unfortuneately a bit addicting. I like these because they are quick to throw together, and there is no baking required. They are perfect to take to a potluck get together with friends or family.
Make sure you have somewhere to take them, because if you don't, you'll more than likely eat the whole pan by yourself.
I think this recipe is very versatile as well. Once I made them and ran out of Club crackers so I used Nilla wafers for the top layer. They tasted just as good. And another time, I didn't have butterscotch chips, so I used extra chocolate chips. This gave it a little bit of a different taste, but I still really like the bar. Play around with ingredients... it's fun.

Kit Kat Bars

80 club crackers
1 cup butter
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup fimrly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels

Line an ungreased 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an extension of foil on either end. Line the foil with 1 layer of club crackers, cutting to fit if necessary.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 miutes, stirring constantly. (Begin timing 5 minutes from when you see the first bubbles.) Remove from heat and spread half of butter mixture evenly over crackers. Place another single layer of crackers evenly over butter mixture, cutting to fit if necessary. Spread remaining butter mixture evenly over crackers. Top evenly with remaining crackers.

In a small saucepan (or in the microwave), combine peanut butter, chocolate morsels, and butterscotch morsels. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over top of crackers. Cover, and chill for at least 1 hour. Lift foil overhang and remove bars from pan. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I saw these in one of her magazines and knew I had to try them since kit kats are my favorite candy! Great job on them!