Monday, August 31, 2009

Hazelnut Nutella Banana Bread... and Mini Loaves

I have been wanting to make banana bread for a long time, but since my kids are monkeys I just can't keep bananas until they hit the over ripe stage. I went to the store 4 times before I finally decided to just hide 2 bananas for my precious banana bread. I do not like walnuts in banana bread at all, so I was researching online for a yummy banana bread recipe and I saw a recipe from Baking Bites for Hazelnut Banana Bread, and then I had the most marvelous idea to add Nutella... Best. Idea. Ever!!!!
It was so delicious that my husband ate the entire loaf except a small piece I saved for myself. So, of course, I had to make some more. My second batch I made into mini loaves and left out the Hazelnuts, so it was a slight variation to the first loaf, but just as delicious. I think I prefer the bread without the hazelnuts and with more Nutella... how can you ever get enough of that delightful, chocolatey concoction? Not possible.

Hazelnut Nutella Banana Bread


1 cup whole hazelnuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
4-5 Tbsp Nutella

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
In a food processor, pulse whole hazelnuts until finely ground. Add in sugars, eggs, vanilla and bananas and whizz until well-combined.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add 1/3 of flour mixture to the food processor and pulse to incorporate. Add half of the milk and pulse again. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk and the remaining flour.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add in the butter and whizz for several seconds to incorporated it.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Melt Nutella in the microwave with a cup of hot water. When Nutella becomes runny or pourable, swirl into loaf. Leave some on top for a crunchy crust.
Bake for 70-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf.

I didn't quite get my Nutella swirled in enough on my first loaf, but it was still delicious. I also didn't use a food processer to mix my ingredients because I don't have one. Definitely use one if you have one to make everything nice and smooth.

Now onto the Mini Loaves. Aren't they the cutest things you've ever seen?


For the mini loaves, I left out the hazelnuts, but kept the rest of the recipe the same. I decided to do 3 variations. One plain, one with semi-sweet chocolate chips, and one with Nutella swirled in. Just make the recipe and pour into a mini loaf pan. Decide what additions you want and have fun. I have to say my absolute favorite was the Nutella, but very close second was the chocolate chip. Look how nice and swirled this mini loaf is. It was absolutely delicious! And so pretty.
They looked so cute all wrapped up as little gifts. The possibilites are endless with these delcious little treats. Have fun and let me know if you find a new combination that I didn't try.

1 comment:

teresa said...

these look wonderful!