Wednesday, May 20, 2009

German Chocolate Cake

If you have never tasted homemade German Chocolate Cake, than you've never really experienced it. I've never been a fan of German Chocolate Cake. The only times I have tasted it were at birthday parties and the cake came from a box or bakery. But it's my husbands favorite cake of all time, so for his birthday, I decided to try my hand at making it from scratch. Boy! Am I glad I did!! It was delicious! And there are so many different variations of the recipe that I have seen, that it will be fun to try out a few different things next time I make it. And believe me, there will be a next time! I hope you try it and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!!

German Chocolate Cake
  • 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 2-1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
  • COCONUT PECAN FROSTING(recipe follows)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth; set aside. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with chocolate mixture and buttermilk, beating just enough to blend. Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Prepare COCONUT PECAN FROSTING; spread between layers and over top.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.


COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 cup chopped pecans

Stir together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and butter in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature. About 2-2/3 cups frosting.

Help! G.I. Joe is sinking in the quicksand surrounded by fire. How will he ever escape?

Safe at last! Now.... let's devour that cake!

4 comments:

JenHunsaker said...

Sadie, the German Chocolate Cake recipe that comes inside the Baker's sweet chocolate (might actually be labeled German Chocolate) bars is a GREAT recipe for this cake. If you toast the pecans and the coconut, it is to die for. That is the recipe I use every year for my husband's birthday since it is his favorite too.

JenHunsaker said...

Oh, and I forgot to add, I also add some sweetened cocoa powder (Ghiradelli) just to make the cake extra chocolatey.

teresa said...

Yummmy! I love all of that frosting, so good!

Sadie said...

Thanks for the tips Jen!!