I felt like my blog needed a little brightening up... I'm not sure about the colors yet, but we'll see if it grows on me. It definitely looks more springish though, don't you think?
Here is one of my all time favorite recipes... it's simple, it's easy, it's colorful, and it's oh so delicious. I remember my mom making this for us a lot when I was growing up. And I never got tired of it... not even once. It's a snap to throw together, and you can use whatever you have in your fridge to fit your family's tastes. There are so many possibilites...
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon salsa (your favorite, but it should be chunky)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4- 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
- 2 medium tomatos, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado, sprinkled with a little lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated mild cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese, or combination of both
- sour cream
Warm the butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the tortilla pieces and sauté until softened. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it is transparent. Stir in the chopped green chiles.
Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and "scramble" until eggs are done. Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle the chopped tomato, avocado, cilantro and cheese into the eggs stirring well.
Serve at once with warm flour tortillas. Garnish with additional salsa and sour cream.
Additional ingredients you might love to add:
They are also heavenly served with fresh homemade refried beans.