Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mom's Cinnamon Rolls


I've always been a sucker for cinnamon rolls... especially if they taste anything like my moms. When my mom made cinnamon rolls all of us kids would line up and drool at the counter, then the oven, until they were done. And usually we'd only get one a piece because she would give the rest away... so cinnamon rolls were sacred in our house!! Now that I'm all grown up and have my very own Bosch mixer, I decided it was high time I attempted Mom's Cinnamon Rolls... and I'm so very glad I did. Because I can eat however many I want now. It's great being the mom. ;)

Mom's Cinnamon Rolls

1 Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 c warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted shortening
1 tsp vanilla
6 cups flour (more or less)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter

Soak yeast into 1/2 cup warm (tepid) water. Add salt, milk, sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla. Mix together. Add flour a cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
If you are doing this in a mixer, mix for about 6 to 8 minutes. If you're doing it by hand, knead dough for about 8 minutes.
Move dough to a greased bowl. Let raise for 1 to 2 hours.
Punch down dough. Roll dough out in a rectangle on a floured counter to about 1 inch thickness.
This is where you can deviate from the recipe to suit your families tastes. If you don't like them so sweet use less sugar.
Melt butter and spread over dough. Sprinkle with brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon until you are satisfied with the sugariness. ;) I like my sweet rolls VERY sweet.
Roll up dough starting from one side. Cut into 2 inch slices. Put each slice in a greased cookie sheet side by side.
Let rise for 20 minutes.
Cook at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting for Cinnamon Rolls

1/2 cup butter
1/2 block cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
Powdered sugar
3 to 4 Tbsp evaporated milk (regular milk works too but the evap. milk makes the frosting smoother and creamier)

Soften butter and cream cheese. Mix together until smooth. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time alternately with dashes of milk to get to the consistency you want. I like my a little runny so I can just pour it over the cinnamon rolls.

2 comments:

Matt and Tiffany said...

I made these of Saturday and them were super yummy!

Amy C. said...

I thought they were yummy too! They got eaten quick at our house. So glad you shared some with us!