Monday, February 2, 2009

Rolo Cookies


I'm not exactly sure where this recipe came from, but I remember making them in high school and devouring them. I love carmel, and Rolo's have always been a favorite of mine. The cookies taste similar to brownies and with carmel thrown in there, you just can't go wrong. My kids absolutely loved these cookies. I had to hide them becuase they kept sneaking them. They are absolutely divine with a nice glass of cold milk. The best way to eat these is right out of the oven when the carmel is warm and ooey gooey. Delicious!!
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firm pack
  • 1/2 cup pecans chopped (or other nuts)(optional)
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 (13 ounce) bag Rolo chocolates (unwrapped)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa


    Heat oven to 375. In small bowl combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Mix Well. In large bowl beat 1 cup sugar with brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and beat well. Add flour mixture and blend.
    For each cookie, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 Rolo, covering compleletly. If dough is too sticky to handle easily, refrigerate until desired firmness is achieved.
    In a small bowl combine nuts and 1 tablespoons of sugar. Press 1 side of each ball into the nut mixture and place, nut side up, two inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. (I often make these without the nut/sugar part and they are still delicious)
    Bake for 7-10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wax paper to cool completely. Do not cool on wire rack or caramel centers will fall through.


3 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

These are so delicious looking. How can you beat caramel in the center of a chocolate cookie?? You can't. YUM!!

Gianina said...

Hi! I thought I would introduce myself since i've been reading your blog for quite a while now and I've tried a few of your recipes! I love your blog!
I actually started a cooking blog myself not too long ago, maybe you'd like to check it out sometime!
It's gianinacucina.blogspot.com

Sadie said...

Donna - My thoughts exactly!!! They are one of my favorite cookies! Thanks for visiting.

Gianina - Awesome, glad to know I have a fan. I will definitely check out your site. I'm always looking for great cooking blogs. Thanks!