Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tomato Gorgonzola Soup

The one thing I love about fall is that the cold, crisp air just begs for soup. Not only is soup comforting, warm, and delicious, it makes your house smell heavenly. Whenever I make soup, my husband always thinks that I have slaved away in the kitchen all day because of the aroma's coming from the soup pan. Little does he know that I pulled it all together an hour before he walks through the door. But let's keep that a secret. I'll take those bonus points. ;)
This soup was fairly simple to make, but huge on flavor. I served it in bread bowls which turned out to be perfect for dipping. At our house we love to dip stuff in our soup.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 large red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato juice or V8 vegetable juice. (I used V8)
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  2. Add the cheeses, cream, and milk; heat mixture until cheeses melt and the mixture is simmering. Make sure the mixture does not come to a full boil. Keep the heat on medium.
  3. Stir in the tomatoes (including their liquid), tomato juice, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer mixture for 15 to 20 minutes while stirring constantly. Do not boil.


1 comment:

Sophie said...

It's that very thing you described that I love soup so much, it comes together quite quickly, plus the clean up isn't too tough either :). Yours looks so warm and comforting! I'd love to feature your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested!

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com