Monday, October 20, 2008

Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies


I'm on a quest to find the perfect oatmeal cookie. They are my husband's absolute favorite cookie, and if I can find just the right one, there's no telling what kind of bribery I can get away with. ;) This recipe proved to be very delicious, but I'm still on the search. One thing I find annoying with oatmeal cookies is that they are usually super soft right out of the oven, but as they cool off, they get crisper. My husband doesn't like the crispiness. He likes them to be chewy and soft, so that's something that I'm always looking for.
This recipe was very soft and chewy out of the oven, and only turned a little bit crisp after cooling off. I definitely recommend it. My girls and I had them almost all eaten before daddy came home, and they made the house smell incredible.

  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs well beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 3 cups oats (Use Quaker Quick or Old Fashioned. Do NOT use instant.)
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1 cup raisins (optional)

1 Cream shortening and sugars, add eggs and vanilla and beat well.

2 Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to first mixture and mix well. Add raisins and nuts. Add oats last.

3 Spoon out by rounded tablespoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

Erickson Family said...

you might want to try this oatmeal cookie recipie I made it last night and they didn't crisp up at all
INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Sadie said...

Thank you!! I will definitely try it.