Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese


I hate, absolutely despise, the boxed macaroni and cheese... but my kids love it. So in order to compromise, I decided to make my own. And I'm so glad I did because it was absolutely fantastic. Much better than the boxed stuff. My husband was very impressed too. He didn't know there was such a thing as "homemade" macaroni and cheese. :P

Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese

1 package macaroni (8 oz)
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 tsp salt, Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 1/2 cups shredded Medium cheddar cheese
3/4 cup Ritz Crackers

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
In a large saucepan melt butter. Mix salt and pepper with flour and add to butter. Use a whisk to stir until well blended. Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly. Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes.
Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.Turn off flame.
Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments: