Thursday, October 23, 2008

Caramello Brownies



Here is a very special treat. Mmmm.... There's not much that I love more than a good brownie. I have a basic brownie recipe that I use all the time. It is perfect for adding things to. Depending on my mood, I will add chocolate chips, or Andes Mint, or an assortment of chopped up candybars.
I saw a Caramello candy bar at the gas station, and I just knew I had found my next brownie creation.
Here is my basic brownie recipe to which I added 2 Caramello bars to. With the price of brownie box mixes at the store, it's always good to have a basic go to recipe on hand.
The brownies in the picture look dark because I used half dark cocoa, half regular cocoa. I'm a sucker for the dark stuff.

Note: If you do not keep unsweetened chocolate squares around, you can substitute 3/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup oil whisked together until smooth.

Sadie's basic brownies
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate (sometimes I will use the cocoa powder/oil combo and use half Hershey's Dark Cocoa. )
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  1. Microwave chocolate and butter or margarine in large bowl at HIGH for 2 minutes or until butter or margarine is melted.
  2. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in white and brown sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder. Add any extra's that you want. For this particular time, I added 2 carmello bars broken into pieces.
  3. Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes (do not overbake).

No comments: