Thursday, September 18, 2008

Harvest Hash


I just love generous neighbors! Since my garden was almost non-existent this year, it was completely delightful to receive a bag full of fresh produce from my neighbor's garden. I wanted to make something really yummy using it all, so I came up with this vegetable goulash type dish. It was incredibly delicious! I was so happy it turned out so yummy. Now... if next year, I can get my garden in on time and have it do well, I'll be making this quite a bit.
This is a really versatile dish. You could easily mix and match the vegetables to your liking. You could also play around with the spices. I'm sure I'll throw in whatever fits my mood next time.

1 pound lean ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 yellow crook neck squash, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon fresh or dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
  1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the garlic. Drain fat.
  2. Return skillet to stove, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in green and red peppers, squash, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, paprika, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper; cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in beef and tomato sauce; simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: