Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chicken Divan


First of all, let me just say that this dish is divine. My hubby even said, "Most of your dinners are good, but this is out of this world." He couldn't stop eating it, and neither could I, and most importantly neither could my kids.
This is definitely a fail safe recipe that I will be making over and over again. And a big bonus: It's simple, quick, and I always have all the ingredients on hand.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups instant rice
2 (10 oz) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed and chopped medium
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I put more cheese on of course)
36 Ritz crackers (1 sleeve), crushed to coarse crumbs (1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then cut into 2 inch chunks. Spread in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
Whisk the cream, broth, and mustard together in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high until boiling, about 8 minutes.
Stir the rice into the cream mixture, then pour over the chicken, Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Pat the broccoli dry, then stir with the cheddar into the baking dish. Sprinkle the Ritz crumbs over the top. Continue to bake until the edges are bubbling and the crumbs are browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
From America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I just wanted to vouch that this recipe is DELICIOUS!!! I saw it in my cookbook, and I didn't expect to like it so much, based on the ingredients (frozen broccoli, instant rice, and boneless skinless chicken). But it was so delicious and flavorful!! It truly is everything that you said it is, and my husband loved it just like yours did!