Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pot 'O' Beans (for the cowgirl in you)


Growing up on a farm, we ate a lot of comfort cowboy food, and one of my favorites was my mom's big ole pot of beans with cornbread. My grandma also made a spectacular pot paired with her famous biscuits... Mmm.... just thinking about it takes me back to some good times.
So I decided to try my hand at a Pot O Beans. My kids liked the little pieces of bacon in it, and I sat at the table eating my beans in complete flashback mode. Love it when that happens.

Mom's Pot of Beans

1 bag of basic pinto beans
1 lb bacon
1/2 onion chopped
salt and pepper

Rinse the beans in a colander. Cover beans in water and soak beans in a bowl overnight. This releases a lot of the air bubbles.

Fill a big pot half-full with water and place it on the stove on medium heat. Add the beans. While the burner is warming up, add chunks of onion and the bacon. Add a couple tablespoons of salt. I've learned it's best to add a small amount of salt early, and then add the rest when you can taste the beans later.
Bring this to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for three hours or so, adding water every half-hour or when you think it needs it.
Add salt and pepper before serving.

For a great combination try Amy's sweet cornbread.

No comments: