Monday, August 25, 2008

Hazelnut Sour Cream Cake with Nutella filling and Hazelnut Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

I love hazelnuts... I LOVE nutella, and I love anything that is flavored hazelnut. I've been thinking about doing some kind of cake or cupcake with these flavors for a long time, and I finally got out my apron and baking pans and came up with this recipe. (With a little help from my friend Suz). I am so excited about this. I'm more of a "trying out different recipes that I find online, then making up my own recipe" kind of girl, but this was really fun... And absolutely AMAZING! Mmmmm.... It's a must if you like the hazelnut and nutella taste.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease your pans.

Hazelnut Sour cream Cake
1 box Betty Crocker Yellow cake mix

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp powdered Hazelnut coffee creamer

3/4 tsp. salt

3 eggs

1 cup water

1/2 cup milk

2 tbsp. veg. oil

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tsp. vanilla

Whisk the dry ingredients.

Mix thel wet ingredients in a separate bowl and pour dry ingredients into wet. Beat on low for 2 minutes.
Pour into 2 nine inch round pans.
Bake at 325 until done. I have a convection oven so mine only took 20 minutes, but I imagine on a regular oven it would be double that so around 40 - 45 minutes.

Nutella Filling
While cakes are baking melt 1/2 cup of nutella with 1/4 cup of milk in a sauce pan on the stove. Stir continually until smooth.
Pour over first round cake after cake has been cooled. Top with second cake.


Hazelnut Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (I ONLY use Crisco)

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup powdered hazelnut coffee creamer

3/4 cup baking cocoa

1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar

3 tbs milk or heavy cream

Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Add cocoa and hazelnut creamer. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat on low. (I add milk as I'm adding sugar, little by little). Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

For the topping I used crushed up Heath bars and mini Heath bars for the top. I'm guessing crushed hazelnuts would go well too.
Enjoy with a big glass of milk.

No comments: