Thursday, July 17, 2008

Spicy Mac & Cheese


I've been cooking A LOT of new things lately. I'm on a quest to try all the yumminess in all the foodblogs I visit... I've decided I need to stop visiting food blogs, because there is just no way I can try everything. BUT, I do have a lot of fun whipping up new things.

This recipe is a keeper. I ate the leftovers for lunch 4 days in a row and I still didn't get sick of it. It is absolutely delicious. I got it from The Pioneer Woman who calls it Not your Granny's Mac and Cheese.
I made a few changes here and there and next time I will add some grilled chicken because I think chicken would go really well here. The chicken also would make it into more of a main dish instead of a side dish... although we did eat it as the main dish.

4 cups cooked macaroni or cavatappi (I didn't have either so I used Wacky Mac)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 finely diced red onion
Equal amount diced red bell pepper (I used a whole red pepper)
1 finely diced jalapeno (I left this out, but will put it in next time)
1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
1 cup frozen corn (I used a little more than a cup)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup cream
1 generous cup grated Pepper Jack cheese (I used a lot more cheese and added some provolone as well)
2 tablespoons butter
Salt
Pepper

Boil pasta until al dente. In a large skillet, add olive oil and saute garlic and vegetables over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add in canned chilies and stir around, then turn off heat. Drain pasta and add it to skillet. Pour on cream, add cheese, then add salt and pepper to taste and stir gently. At the end, add 2 tablespoons butter and stir again. Check seasonings and serve.

No comments: