Friday, July 11, 2008

Au Jus for French Dip Sandwhiches



One of my hubby's favorite meals is French Dip sandwhiches. When I was a newly married innocent and knew hardly anything about anything, I made Aus Jus from a packet that I found conveniently at the store. Even now, I cringe as I think about it. Au Jus from a packet is evil, people... It's practically a federal offense. Listen to me, homemade Au Jus is incredibly easy and simple to make and tastes about 10 gazillion times better than the evil packet. You will thank me and your husbands will thank me, I promise.

Okay, back onto pleasant topics. Sometimes, if I'm feeling fancy, I will saute onions and bell peppers to put on the Roast Beef sandwich. It's yummy. And most of the time, I buy Cajun Roast Beef from the Deli counter. We love Cajun roast beef round these parts. And I'm sure you all know this, but never, ever buy the prepackaged nasty stuff... from the Deli counter always. Say it with me, "Always from the Deli".
And occasionally if I'm feeling REALLY fancy, I will simmer a roast in the crockpot all day and use that for sandwiches... thats really the best way, but then you have all that leftover roast to deal with. It's a cruel world.

One tip before we start, REALLY watch the pepper and red pepper flakes. Even putting a smidgeon more or less drastically changes the taste. For awhile there, I was making it WAY too hot, even for my husbands taste and cut back a tad on just the black pepper and it really made a difference. Play with the pepper to get it to your family's taste. I have it down now so that even my kids look forward to Au Jus night... My little pardner practically drinks the stuff when we have it. And that's saying alot!

2 c water
1 TB beef bouillon granules
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 ts crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp garlic salt

In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt, and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.

See? Told you it was simple! ;)

18 comments:

Gretchen's gang said...

I tried this au jus recipe last night in the crockpot and it was fantastic! Thank you so much.

Sadie said...

So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

I am excited to try this. I am big into eating less fake food and more real. Thanks for the recipe!!!

David said...

I am sorry but how do you consider this as homemade? Have you looked at the ingredient list on the boulion? If you are already crock potting a roast why not use the stock from there, add a little salt, garlic etc. and then call it "homemade"?

Sadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sadie said...

Good point David! We are taking small steps here... baby steps actually. My point was trying to get away from using a packet for the "jus". My recipe site might not be the one for you, but thanks for commenting.

The Betz Family said...

I made this to accompany our prime rib for Christmas dinner when I was in a pinch because I realized I forgot to pick up au jus at the store. It was a bit peppery the night of dinner, but it was perfect the next day with leftovers. Thanks for posting a recipe that I can make with the contents of my pantry! I will be posting it toward the middle of this month on my own blog.

Jodi said...

Love it! I have used this recipe many, many times over the past few months and now other family members are asking me for the recipe! Thanks for sharing. I will be using this for our Superbowl party!!! GO PACK GO!! ;)

Katie said...

Just as a thought, to David and anyone else...
There are bouillion products that are natural or organic. I found "Better than Bouillion" organic chicken base. I didn't see an organic beef, but they do have beef base. It's all natural. I have been using it to make Top Ramen instead of the packets that are included with the noodles. A little chicken base, soy sauce and garlic and it has no MSG or food coloring. I, too, am working at slow changes in our families eating habits. You might try it in your au jus.

Anonymous said...

I just made this recipe and left the red pepper out because there are members of my household that are really sensitive to heat. I added a little onion powder to it and it was amazing. Nothing but kudos thanks for the recipe.

Kelly said...

LOVE it! Thanks so much for a great homemade recipe! ;) So glad to know that I don't have to buy those packets EVER again!

pwnmom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pwnmom said...

Today I purchased a can of Beef Broth, thinking I could use it to make "jus" for French Dip Sandwiches. What do you think?? Maybe substitute it for the bouillon cubes/water??

Sadie said...

I would definitely try the beef broth and let me know how it turns out! Good luck!

Ashley Hawkes said...

THANK YOU! My hubby and I were just panicking because we were out of packets and I turned to the internet and found your blog. NEVER going to need packets again! This recipe is SOOO good.

Tera Sigman said...

I thought it was a nice, rich au jus. Super easy and right from my pantry at home. I love that. A bit too much pepper for our taste too, but just a hair too much. Thanks for sharing. My now go too recipe .

farmgranny65 said...

This was delicious! I had to reduce the pepper to 1/8 tsp due to sensitivity to it as to bouillon, I make my own by grinding my leftover beef meat and dehydrating (and add my own natural seasonings) it is shelf stable so I made an Au Jus powdered version of yours! It is my spicy go to mix.. Keep making greAt food and sharing. Dare to be creative and sharing your great recipes and know we love and appreciate your good food and the time you take to do this site!

Jon said...

WARNING!

There’s JUST ONE REASON you might fail on the Paleo Diet and it has everything to do with your ability to make delicious food, FAST.

But now, with this stunningly simple cookbook I’ll show you how to cook savory, mouth-watering meals in minutes for some of the busiest Paleo eaters in the world...

For more info please click on the following link: How To Cook Tasty Dishes

Talk soon.