Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Best Ever Sugar Cookies



I lOVE sugar cookies. They have ALWAYS been my favorite cookie and so I'm very picky about which recipe I use. I've always been true and faithful to my mom's sugar cookie recipe. It's one of those recipes that make your eyes roll back in your head. Recently I came across a "Best Ever Sugar Cookie" recipe and decided to try it. It was amazingly good also. So, I decided to take a little of my moms and a little of the new recipe and create my own Best Ever Sugar Cookies. I will never deviate from this one. The cookies are the perfect softness and perfect sweetness. Don't take my word for it, you'll have to judge for yourself. I made these for Mother's Day and got quite a bit of compliments on them. I'll be making them for my family reunion coming up and since my siblings are "sugar cookie people" they are all very excited as are my kids and myself.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3/4 c shortening ( I only use Crisco)
1/4 c butter
1 3/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sour cream
6 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
milk (I explain how much below)
Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar and shortening. Add the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until well combined. Add flour mixture, a cup full at a time alternately with milk to the wet mixture. This might be confusing... let me explain in detail. I add a cup of flour and mix, then another and mix, when the dough starts getting thick I will add a couple of splashes of milk in (a couple of teaspoons). After I have mixed the wet and dry together completely, if the dough seems too sticky, I add more flour. If the dough seems to dry, I add more milk.
Now, the dough will be very soft... silky soft in fact. It makes it alot easier to roll out and cut into shapes, if you refrigerate the dough for an hour or so first. If you don't have time to do that, you can roll out and cut into shapes, but be prepared for a little frustration as the dough is so soft that it tends to stick and not hold a shape very well.
Sprinkle flour on working surface, roll dough 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes, bake at 400 for 7 - 10 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting (The ONLY frosting to eat on sugar cookies)
1 package cream cheese
1/4 c milk
1/2 c butter
1 tsp vanilla
About 3/4 bag of powdered sugar
Melt butter and cream cheese in microwave until softened. Dump 1/2 bag powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla in with the butter and cream cheese. Add 1/4 cup milk. Beat with beater until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too runny. Add more milk if frosting is too thick. Add food color of your choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.