Monday, February 25, 2008

Enchilada Sauce


I don't know about you, but I hate the canned enchilada sauce. It doesn't matter what brand, it all tastes gross to me. But I do love enchiladas, so I decided to make my own enchilada sauce. And believe me, from now on, I will never buy the canned kind again. This is very yummy and very quick and easy. I found the basic recipe on All Recipes, but I changed it a little here and there so it's all my own.


1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (oringinal recipe called for 8 oz can)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
salt to taste


DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.


Now, onto yummy enchiladas. Tomorrow nights dinner is my mom Sour Cream Enchiladas. Delicious!! I'll be sure to take a picture and post the recipe.

No comments: