Friday, February 15, 2008

Buttercream Frosting


I got this recipe from my good friend Suzi who is an expert at cakes. Now this is the only frosting recipe I will ever use.


1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (I ONLY use Crisco)
1/2 cup butter (If you want snow white icing, then you'll have to buy Clear Butter Extract and use more shortening and omit butter)
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract (If you are going to tint icing a color, you can use regular vanilla extract)
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
2 tbs milk or heavy cream

Some people like the almond extract flavor better than the vanilla...sometimes I even use both. OR if you want, you can buy a flavor of the powder Coffee Mate coffee flavorings and replace 1/4 -1/3 cup of the conf. sugar with the coffee mate.

Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat on low. (I add milk as I'm adding sugar, little by little). Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. (I put in a ziplock container (not the bag) and store in fridge until I'm ready to use it.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM - make your regular buttercream icing. Add 3/4 cup Cocoa and a little bit more milk/heavy cream/half and half, whichever you're using. (I use 1/2 cup regular cocoa and 1/4 cup dark cocoa) I also find myself using heavy cream more often than not as my liquid. Beat on low with mixture until creamy.

No comments: